Based On: P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
Released in theaters: December 2007
Directed by: Richard LaGravenese
Screenplay by: Richard LaGravenese & Steven Rogers
Starring: Hilary Swank, Gerald Butler, Kathy Bates, James Marsters, Lisa Kudrow, Harry Connick Jr
In honor of Valentine’s Day tomorrow, I decided to watch this sappy movie for the first time so I could review it. My book review of it is here if you’d like to refresh your memory on what I thought.
What I Loved
- Straightaway, I knew it was better than the book. Cecelia Ahern provided a great basis for a wonderful story but it came across much better in the film.
- Denny from Grey’s Anatomy (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is in it! I really don’t care that I’m nearly exactly half his age. His dimples are just so swoony-worthy!
- Gerald Butler plays a lovable Gerry, too. And Hilary Swank is a wonderful Holly (in contrast to the insufferable book Holly).
- Daniel in the movie is different than Daniel in the book (from what I could tell).
- I’m sad the movie didn’t take place in Ireland for the entirety of it. I’m glad they at least kept Gerry Irish.
- I liked that the screenplay writers cut characters. It made it much more manageable to remember who people were. And I really liked that Holly’s dad wasn’t in the picture.
- I honestly liked the whole movie. It’s a great addition to my collection of sappy romances.
- I had no idea what was happening when they were playing Snaps. If you’re watching this movie on DVD, they have a bonus feature that explains how to play. Or you can check it out here.
I hate cosmetics companies. They get you addicted to the perfect lipstick or nail polish and then, six months later, they discontinue it. You have to buy your favorite colors like you’re storing up for the Apocalypse.
Would I Recommend?
If you enjoy sappy romances, yes. It was horribly sad but also a wonderful story about healing and finding yourself again after a loss.
Am I the only one behind the bandwagon with this movie? What do you think of this adaptation?
Happy Saturday & Happy Valentine’s Day!