Based On: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Released in Theaters: Feb. 7th, 2014
On DVD: May 20th, 2014
Directed by: Mark Waters
Screenplay written by: Daniel Waters
Starring: Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Danila Kozlovsky, Gabriel Byrne, Sarah Hyland
Better trailer that was only released at Regal Cinemas for some strange reason.
“Weird doesn’t begin to cover it.”
I’m mad at the marketing team for this movie. They made it seem silly & stupid. Which is probably why it was a box office flop. It doesn’t help that a lot of people just didn’t understand what it was. The Wiki page for it calls it a satirical fantasy horror film. That’s so not what this series should be categorized as.
I know this is a little late on the uptake. This came out over a year ago. But I recently re-watched it. I actually really liked this movie. I know I’m in the minority there. But I think it’s solely because I didn’t read the series before I watched the film. I also knew to ignore the marketing campaign because of what I had read about the series before reading it. I love the series wholeheartedly. Of course, I think the book is better but I don’t think the movie was horrible. I think it got a lot of things right, actually. It’s just one of those cheesy movies that you just have to love.
What I liked:
- The script was a great adaptation of the book. It was funny, fresh, and made sense.
- Zoey Deutch is the perfect Rose.
- Dimitri. My lovely hot Comrade. Don’t they make the perfect couple?
- The casting in general was pretty spot on, I think. Kinda. Mostly.
- The marketing campaign (duh)
- The teaser trailer… and the regular trailer
- The cheesy looking evil vampires
- The semi-bad acting at the end.
- The fact that they ruined what could have been an awesome 6 part series, then again, Hollywood ruined The Mortal Instruments (which I don’t mind that they did because I don’t like the series, but I feel for the people that love it.)
There was an Indiegogo campaign for the sequel that I had never heard of until it was too late. And that makes me mad. I wish there was another campaign that was more publicized. This series does deserve a better film and more of them. There’s so many books and a lot of us fans would like another shot at this series.
I think the problem lies with timing. People were over vampires. They marketed it as a Mean Girls + vampires and it’s just not that. Why not market the action? The famous Rose sass? The mythology? I think that would have drawn a bigger audience than just trying to turn it into some cheesy high school movie. They could make it a TV series like they’re doing with TMI or they could just try again. I don’t know but I really want to see Rose again, please. Make it happen.
Would I recommend this movie?
Yes! Just have an open mind. It’s going to be a little chessy. It’s going to be different from the books. But I hope, I HOPE, you’ll fall in love with Rose just like I did. And if nothing else, there’s some good action scenes.
What do you think? Did you hate this movie? Or enjoy it like I did?